Friday 4 September 2015

“While She Sleeps”


As a person who listens to a lot of heavy metal bands,While She Sleeps are the only metal-core band I really took a liking to. I'm going to educate you on the band, share what experiences I've had, how I feel about their music, and why I like them so much.

The band consists of 5 members all from Sheffield, Lawrence Taylor the vocalist, Sean Long(backing vocals & piano) and Mat Welsh the guitarists, Aaran Mackenzie the Bassist, and the drummer Adam Savage. They are currently signed to Search and Destroy records in the UK, The End Records in the US, and Shock Records in Australia. They've really come a long way since they formed, they even won a Best British Newcomer award at the Kerrang! Awards 2012.

Their first debut mini-album called ''The North Stands For Nothing'' was released on the 26th June 2010. To this day I'm still blasting this album out of my speakers. It's great to “mosh” along to as the songs have a heavy sound. I also love that they made their songs not just heavy but melodic too. Every song has great meaning, with well written lyrics. What's great is that Mat Welsh (guitarist) self-produced & mixed this album. Now that's dedication! Later in the year they actually signed a deal with Good Fight Studio to release this album in America! Just goes to show that this album really paid off.


Their second studio album called ''This Is The Six'' was released on the 13th of August 2012. This album consists of 12 songs. I enjoy every song for the same reasons I like the first album: The songs are heavy, the lyrics are genius, and they are all very musically-talented, so whatever music they make, it always sounds great to me. I still to this day listen to this album a fair bit as the songs are catchy and the lyrics are unforgettable.

The first time I saw While She Sleeps at a gig, was on the 19th January 2013 at 02 Brixton Academy. They were supporting another metal-core band called Asking Alexandria. Needless to say they performed much better than 'AA'. The capacity of the venue is 5000 people, so it was pretty cramped, however I was near the front so I had a great view. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the band because I was too busy 'head banging' all night. The feeling of seeing your favourite band perform is incredible. I felt so happy to finally see them in front of me, doing what they do best. I was ecstatic. I'm also pretty sure people behind me got a face full of my hair.. Seeing your favourite band gives you a massive adrenalin rush. It's such a thrill being able to show your support and love to the band, and most importantly scream your heart out! It was such a great gig, the atmosphere was sensational, and the band performed excellently and were a pleasure to watch.



The next time I attended one of their events it was free!It was their Brainwashed album release party in London at the House Of Vans It included meeting the band, chilling with them, a 'merchandise' stand, signing, booze, and an acoustic set. The band were exactly how I expected them to be. They were extremely bubbly and all had outgoing personalities. Each of them took the time to listen to what I had to say, allowed me to have a good laugh, and even take a few pictures with me! It's great when a band are generally nice people, considering you're the one buying their music, etc. The acoustic set was brilliant. The whole crowd were clapping and singing along. It was such an amazing atmosphere to be in, listening to acoustics is very chilling. Sean Long's guitar solo's blew me away, and I was glad to hear Lawrence's vocals again, after he had suffered from a throat injury. The band played in-sync with each other, and there wasn't a single fault made, even when they didn't have long to rehearse.



Their 3rd and latest album ''Brainwashed'' was released on the 23rd March 2015 through Search And Destroy Records. There are 12 songs on the CD and 15 on the Deluxe album. I bought the deluxe, and I love it! They've really improved over the years, and this album was a big hit! The sound of the songs remain the same, and the lyrics as genius as they have always been. You can really relate to a lot of the lyrics. The songs have brilliant guitar solos, fast-paced drumming, and incredible vocals. I'm attending one of the bands tour gigs on the 30th April 2015 so I'll be hearing them perform most of the songs from this album. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment